Friday, December 1, 2017

Review: Forward to What Lies Ahead

Forward to What Lies Ahead


"Sometimes being strong isn’t enough. Ever since she was a teenager, Regina Whitman has relied on her tough, independent spirit to survive and to protect the ones she loves. Even when heartache and disappointment strike, she finds the strength to press forward, rebuild her life, and do meaningful work. But just when her outlook seems brightest, a tragic and shameful secret from the past catches up with her, jeopardizing her future and threatening the lives of the people around her. In the face of overwhelming danger and darkness, can Regina learn to trust God and embrace the love she doesn’t think she deserves? Or will the painful guilt of her past destroy her?"



Author: Chloe S. Flanagan
Length: 178 pages
Format: Paperback, e-book



I'm currently still in shock...like I need a day or two to process this book. I need more, but at the same time it was a perfect length.


It was a very face paced story, which threw me a few times. (I read it in e-format, so that might have contributed to that) (The formatting was a bit off on my screen)  I will be buying this book in paperback format, it will be a story I re-read!
It switched perspectives multiple times throughout the book, that has never bugged me, so I was able to follow along pretty well.


The characters were great! Regina was logical and almost cold, though once you know her backstory you understand her so much better. You don't see many main women protagonists as the logical, no nonsense type. It was definitely refreshing. 
There are underlying lines of romance, but it is not the forfront of the story. Healing and forgiveness is the main focus. The story of redemption and grace was so beautiful!

There were some serious plot twists throughout and boy oh boy were they written wonderfully. People die too young, people run from hurt, people fall in love, people have deep dark secrets. It was a WHIRLWIND of emotion for me.
This book made me cry...like sad tears, not laughing tears. That is really hard to do, I'm not a crier when I read. I applaud you Miss Chloe! 


I feel like this book would make a great movie, not gonna lie. They might not be able to capture it as well as Chloe did, but it would definitely be worth watching.

I give this book a 4.5/5 stars. I really really enjoyed it, and cannot wait to read more by this author. I would recommend this book.

*I was sent this book by the author for an honest review* *All opinions are my own*



Quotes:

"Did he call you 'Queenie' because your name is Regina?" 
"That was part of it. But he also said he didn't want to call me 'princess' like other dads because princesses sit in towers and get rescued, but queens fight wars and conquer lands."

"Forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13-14

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for featuring my book on your blog. I’m glad the story made an impact with you. By the way, the “Queenie” quote is one of my favorites too!

    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me read it!
      I may or may not have teared up a bit during that scene. Must be the sentimental daddy's girl in me. It was beautiful!

      Delete