Friday, April 6, 2018

Review: Head in the Clouds

Head in the Clouds

"Adelaide Proctor is a young woman with her head in the clouds, longing for a real-life storybook hero to claim as her own. But when a husband-hunting debacle leaves her humiliated, she interviews for a staid governess position on a central Texas sheep ranch and vows to leave her romantic yearnings behind. 

When Gideon Westcott left his privileged life in England to make a name for himself in America's wool industry, he never expected to become a father overnight. And five-year-old Isabella hasn't uttered a word since she lost her mother. The unconventionality of the new governess concerns Gideon--and intrigues him at the same time. But he can't afford distractions. He has a ranch to run, a shearing to oversee, and a suspicious fence-cutting to investigate. 

When Isabella's uncle comes to claim the child--and her inheritance--Gideon and Adelaide must work together to protect Isabella from the man's evil schemes. And soon neither can deny their growing attraction. But after so many heartbreaks, will Adelaide be willing to get her head out of the clouds and put her heart on the line?"


Author: Karen Witemeyer
Length: 366 pages
Format: paperback, e-book, audio


She's searching for her 'happily ever after'.
She runs into the man who might just be her 'Prince Charming'.
Can they stand the evils trying to take away their perfect fairytale?

👏 ALL 👏 THE 👏 FEELS 👏

Towards the end of March I just felt like I needed to re-read something on my shelves. (Crazy, I know! Considering the piles of unread books I own) But sometimes you just need to grab a favorite and revisit that wonderful world. I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted, but I just knew I wanted something. (Sounds like me when I'm hungry 😏)
A few weeks ago I talked about some life changes on my booktube channel. (You can subscribe here) One of those being me becoming a live-in nanny to two crazy, but also adorable toddlers.
So I knew I wanted to re-read, I've been in the mood for a Karen Witemeyer book, and I wanted something with a governess or something in it. BAM! I was home last weekend so I grabbed the PERFECT match for me: Head in the Clouds. 

Every time I read this book it. gets. better! I don't even know how it's possible, but I'm so glad it is!

The plot. The characters. The banter. The suspense. The romance. 

    Yes.               Yes.             Yes.            Yes.              Yes.

A young woman who was so in love with the idea of love she threw cation to the wind, only to be heartbroken when reality hits her upside the head like a fryin' pan!
Somethin' about Addie just made me smile constantly! Maybe it's the fact that she ALWAYS wears yellow. (Didn't know that many shades exist, but I'm very happy they do) Or maybe it was her quirkiness. Or maybe her "daddy didn't raise no hothouse flower" attitude. Whatever it was I adored it, and I want to be her best friend! PLUS she was a bookworm, I mean c'mon if that doesn't seal it I don't know what will!

Though she had so many FANTASTIC attributes ,she had one major downfall. She moved to fast, and on her own terms. She didn't wait for God's timing or will. And honestly this is a downfall I share with her. Sometimes I get so caught up in my day-to-day life, that I forget to slow down and listen. To take time to simply WAIT. 
This book, though light and fun and giggly and just all goodness, made me sit up and pay attention. I love how Addie learned to wait upon God, and learned to trust Him no matter His timing, knowing it's ALWAYS perfect. It made me reexamine and want to change how I wait. 

I also LOVE Karen's use of the cloud in this story, her small take on the children of Israel in the desert. It was such a great symbol, and was used marvelously!

Gideon. (Be still my ever beating heart)
Here's a quick tid-bit about Alysha...she's not a fan of British accents. I hear the gasps, I know. HOWEVER! If I had a Gideon stumble into my life, I'd learn to love his accent. Okay?! He was SUCH an amazing character, and he shall be my book boyfriend for eternity. (I CALL DIBS! 😉)

He took in a young girl out of the kindness of his own heart, and loved her like a daughter. Though he was born an English gentleman (a baron's son no less) he still wanted to make his way in the world, and knew he'd have to get his hands dirty to do it. He loved God, his English family, his makeshift American family, his land, his horse, and his flock. He was just so full of love, laid back and down to earth. He was a protector, a knight in shining armor. I just love him! And the dimples don't bother me either. 😍

On top of downright loving the main characters, I loved the rest of the cast - save the bad guys - 
They were fun & relatable! They just felt like a smorgasbord of a family. It was great!

This book hit ALL the sweet spots, and I'm so glad I picked it up. It was the most perfect thing, thank you Karen! 💕 This will forever be a favorite & I know I will be re-reading this and recommending for YEARS to come! 

OF COURSE this was 5/5 star read! Though I think it deserves all the stars. 

______________________________________________________

Quotes:

Sometimes it was just no fun being an adult.

"You plowed him with a pitchfork?"
"I sure did. Daddy didn't raise no hothouse flower, you know."

She wanted to run out to greet her husband, yet a proper English wife would never do something so undignified. But then, Gideon hadn't married a proper Englishwoman, had he?

______________________________________________________


God's way might not always be clear, but it could always be trusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment