Friday, October 26, 2018

Review: The Christmas Heirloom

The Christmas Heirloom

"Perfect for the Christmas season, four beloved authors bring their bestselling, award-winning talents to a multigenerational collection of romantic holiday novellas. In stories ranging from 1820s Regency England to present-day Washington state, readers will be treated to Christmas tales of an heirloom brooch passed from mother to daughter for almost two hundred years. Will the family legend claiming the brooch brings love to its recipient hold true for these women separated by the years but bonded together by the ties of family? "




Author(s): Kristi Ann Hunter, Karen Witemeyer, Sarah Loudin Thomas, Becky Wade
Length: 384 pages
Format: paperback, hardcover, e-book, audio book


Four Festive and Heartwarming Romance Novellas 
That Celebrate the Magic of Christmas


Christmas came early this year! 😍😍
I love a good novella, especially when they're written by some of my favorite humans! ADD to that we get to celebrate Christmas in October...in 4 different time periods. SIGN ME UP! 

***

Legacy of Love  (Kristi Ann Hunter)

"Sarah Gooding never suspected returning a brooch to an elderly woman would lead to a job . . . and introduce her to the woman's grandson. While he may be far above her station, she can't help but notice that his desire to make this Christmas special for his grandmother matches her own."

What a story to kick off our collection! Fun fact about the leading lady in this story...she makes an appearance in the full length novels in the Haven Manor series. (But as a young girl) So it might be a bit of a mind-twister when we get book 2 and see her young again.

I really enjoyed this story. The characters learned how to live life to the fullest, laugh loudly, and love hard. 
I loved seeing these characters learn they were so much more than "an earl's castaway son" and "a lowly companion". They really came to realize God created them for so much more.

The wit between the dowager duchess and Sarah was so amusing! 

Kristi, again crafted a beautiful story, mixing humor and grief flawlessly. I rated this story a 4/5 stars.


***

Gift of the Heart  (Karen Witemeyer)

"Widow Ruth Fulbright uses the family brooch as collateral for a loan from a wealthy resort owner. But the more she comes to know the man behind the stern businessman, the more she hopes for a second chance at love as the holidays draw near."

Not going to lie, it took me a hot second to get into this story. However once I did I was hooked! 

I really enjoyed the characters that Karen created. 

Ruth had this boldness, but was never brash. She was strong and practical, but she wasn't hard headed either. She complimented Bo perfectly.
Bo was the quite strength. He had some past scars that he let affect how he lived his life, until Ruth came along and showed him what other people think really doesn't matter. As long as the people around you love you everything else is trivial. He was such a kind, generous gentleman, and I just love him!

Both Bo and Ruth had "loving" friends who totally meddled...and I COULDN'T GET ENOUGH!! I love a good "match-making/meddling" story-line! 

It was such a cute story & I loved our Posse created kitty come to life! 
I rated it a 4.5/5 stars.

***

A Shot at Love  (Sarah Loudin Thomas)

"Fleeta Brady's rough-and-tumble childhood means she prefers hunting to more feminine activities. She never expected her mother's brooch might be how a fellow hunter turns her attention from competition to romance one December."

This was just a typical cliche "backwoods" romance story in my opinion. 
The girl was a tomboy, who never wanted to get married because she didn't want to controlled by a husband. 

I wasn't the biggest fan of the characters. They seemed very immature to me, and there was a point I almost put the book down because Fleeta's response and reaction was BEYOND ridiculous.  

There was a lot that went down in 100 pages, and I felt like there were lots of competing story-lines. In all honesty it probably could have made a full length novel. 

The story felt bogged down. I rated it a 2.5/5 stars.

***

Because of You  (Becky Wade)

"Maddie Winslow has spent years in love with a man whose heart was already spoken for. When a church Christmas project brings them together and she stumbles upon an old family brooch, might it finally be her turn for love?"

This was a cute story in a super awkward way. 
The characters were kind of unsure of themselves and their feelings for each other.

This love story faced a lot of grief, fear, doubts...just a lot of emotions! Making sure it was God's plan and learning to continue to live even though a loved one has passed.

The brooch wasn't a huge focal point in this story like it was in the others. I kind of wish it had been included a little more, but I also understand....limited amount of words in a novella.

I loved being back in this town again...it was the perfect little snack before book 3 comes out!
I rated this story a 3.5/5 stars.

***

Overall I thought this collection was nice. It isn't my favorite by any means, but I did enjoy seeing the brooch pass down through time. 
I rated the collection as a whole a 3.75/5 stars.

*I received this book from the author**I was not required to leave a positive review**All opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment