Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Review: Lady of a Thousand Treausres

Lady of a Thousand Treasures

"Miss Eleanor Sheffield is a talented evaluator of antiquities, trained to know the difference between a genuine artifact and a fraud. But with her father’s passing and her uncle’s decline into dementia, the family business is at risk. In the Victorian era, unmarried Eleanor cannot run Sheffield Brothers alone.

The death of a longtime client, Baron Lydney, offers an unexpected complication when Eleanor is appointed the temporary trustee of the baron’s legendary collection. She must choose whether to donate the priceless treasures to a museum or allow them to pass to the baron’s only living son, Harry―the man who broke Eleanor’s heart.

Eleanor distrusts the baron’s motives and her own ability to be unbiased regarding Harry’s future. Harry claims to still love her and Eleanor yearns to believe him, but his mysterious comments and actions fuel her doubts. When she learns an Italian beauty accompanied him on his return to England, her lingering hope for a future with Harry dims.

With the threat of debtor’s prison closing in, Eleanor knows that donating the baron’s collection would win her favor among potential clients, saving Sheffield Brothers. But the more time she spends with Harry, the more her faith in him grows. Might Harry be worthy of his inheritance, and her heart, after all? As pressures mount and time runs out, Eleanor must decide whom she can trust―who in her life is false or true, brass or gold―and what is meant to be treasured."



Author: Sandra Bryd
Length: 464 pages
Format: paperback, hardcover, e-book, audio book 


Who is true? Who is false?
Who is gold? Who is brass?


Oh my word this book is a CHUNCKER, and honestly it was SO intimidating to me. It's almost 500 pages y'all! (Okay it's not actually, more like 450 story wise, but STILL!) 

The topic of this book is very intriguing to me, even though I'm not a treasure expert. 😅
Sadly I think I'm going to be in the 1% who didn't really care for this story. It was super slow going for me to get into this book, and even when I did get "into" it I felt it was very drawn out and slow.
There were a TON of scene, people, emotion descriptions that honestly felt a bit unnecessary. To me they didn't add to the story, they were just there.

Now I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I know a lot of people who enjoy descriptive stories, I just happen to be someone who doesn't.

There was a subtle mystery story line running throughout, but it was anticlimactic to me because it was so drawn out. Then it was wrapped up so fast at the end, it felt a little incomplete. (Though I can't quite put my finger on what it was)

The only character I enjoyed was Harry, but because the book was written from first person everyone kind of loved Harry because Eleanor did. He was sweet and considerate, and was honestly a really good guy. He was a protector for anyone he felt needed it.

Eleanor was a very stubborn character who tried to be strong for everyone all the while facing an inner feeling of not being worth anything. She finally came to realization that she was God's treasure and He loved her.

The proposal might just go down as one of my FAVORITE proposals in history!!!! I was utterly enchanted by it. *total heart eyes the ENTIRE time*

No it wasn't my favorite book, but I am really interested to see who the next book is about, if it even follows someone close to this family. Anyone I THOUGHT the book might be about kind of "found" their special somebody at the end.

Overall I rated it a 3/5 star. I know a ton of people enjoyed this book, and I really wish it was my thing. Maybe next time. 💗

*I received this book from the author**I was not required to give a positive review**All review are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment