Sunday, January 20, 2019

Review: The Curse of Misty Wayfair

The Curse of Misty Wayfair

"Left at an orphanage as a child, Thea Reed vowed to find her mother someday. Now grown, her search takes her to Pleasant Valley, Wisconsin, in 1908. When clues lead her to a mental asylum, Thea uses her experience as a post-mortem photographer to gain access and assist groundskeeper Simeon Coyle in photographing the patients and uncovering the secrets within. However, she never expected her personal quest would reawaken the legend of Misty Wayfair, a murdered woman who allegedly haunts the area and whose appearance portends death. 

A century later, Heidi Lane receives a troubling letter from her mother--who is battling dementia--compelling her to travel to Pleasant Valley for answers to her own questions of identity. When she catches sight of a ghostly woman who haunts the asylum ruins in the woods, the long-standing story of Misty Wayfair returns--and with it, Heidi's fear for her own life.

As two women across time seek answers about their identities and heritage, can they overcome the threat of the mysterious curse that has them inextricably intertwined?"

Author: Jaime Jo Wright
Length: 384 pages


 A "curse" that became a town's identity 
and in the process helped two women find their's.

Let me start off by saying, this book had me REELING! Jaime can write a story!! 😍😍

I am one of those people who can spot the bad guy from a mile away. Movies or books, you name it, I instantly feel a little "off" when they make an appearance.  It always baffles my mind when an author can pull the wool over my eyes and surprise me at the end! 
Jamie Jo Wright is one of the only authors who has that ability. 

The last hundred pages or so had my mind racing at rapid speeds trying to figure everything out. I definitely had some assumptions (that ended up being correct), but I was completely off the mark considering the WHOLE picture! And I LOVED it. 

I was IN BOTH of the timelines. I felt like I was living both of their stories! It was such a vivid story, every detail popped off the page. 
The author's writing style is beautiful, thick and dark. This lends a small "creep factor" into her books.

There are some people who didn't think this was a "night-time read", but I personally preferred to read it at night to get the full Jaime Jo Wright affect.

I loved this storyline! It was a twisted, mind spinning tale that lasted well over a century. A "curse" that became a town's identity and in the process helped two women find their's.

Both women in this story were fighting so hard to find themselves, their identity. Though they both started off by trying to solve the legend, in the end they found that GOD is the only way to truly be complete...and in God their identity was found.

I loved every character in this book! Each one had a specific reason for being the way they were, and it worked. (Even the bad guys)

This book dealt with mental illnesses and autism. Yet instead of making them feel less-than, this book shined a bright spotlight, showing the world they are PEOPLE, the same as you and me. As someone who has a disabled brother and cousin, and deals closely with people who have autism and anxiety, reading books talking about theses subjects makes me happy!

This book was definitely a dark and foreboding story, yet it was riddled with so much hope and love! It is such a great message to all those who are hurting, lost or have ever felt less-than. 
It was a 4/5 stars for me.

"Never forget that you are beautifully and wonderfully made. That is your identity. Search no further."
-Jaime Jo Wright

*I received this book from the author/publisher**All opinions are my own*

Quotes:

"Sometimes I wish I had a pocketful of glitter I could pull out and just toss into the air when I'm around people like you. You need a little sparkle in your life, Mr. Rhett Crawford."

No comments:

Post a Comment