Friday, February 8, 2019

Review: A Return of Devotion

A Return of Devotion

"Daphne Blakemoor was perfectly happy living in her own secluded world for twelve years. She had everything she needed--loved ones, a true home, and time to indulge her imagination. But when ownership of the estate where she works as a housekeeper passes on, and the new marquis has an undeniable connection to her past, everything she's come to rely upon is threatened.

William, Marquis of Chemsford's main goal in life is to be the exact opposite of his father. Starting a new life in the peace and quiet of the country sounds perfect until his housekeeper turns his life upside down. 

They've spent their lives hiding from the past. Can they find the courage to face their deepest wounds and, perhaps, find a new path for the future together?"


Author: Kristi Ann Hunter
Length: 400 pages
Series: Haven Manor (book 2)


I KNEW I shouldn't have started this book at 8 p.m on a work night! 
Did I listen to myself? 
No.
The consequence of this was staying up until 3 a.m, then having to be the perkiest zombie in the Subway industry! (Do not ask me how I made it through that shift)
Am I sorry?
No.

I know Kristi Ann Hunter will ALWAYS grab my eyeballs and my heart within the first few words, and this book did not disappoint! I was instantly swept back to Haven Manor and I disappeared into the story within minutes. 

If you've read book 1 "Defense of Honor" then you know we technically got Daphne's story then, however we got it from Kit's perspective then. We finally got to see Daphne's pain, Daphne's scars in this book. 

There were some very powerful scenes when she REALIZED she lost her self when Benedict was born. Though she was not my favorite character I really admire how she fought to find herself after she realized how lost she really was.

 William. I liked him. Why?
Because he was arrogant. Weird I know, but hear me out!
In this time period aristocrats were supposed to have this mentality. He was a marquis and he KNEW it, and he knew how to use the power the title gave him. Yet he was a gentle and slightly unconventional aristocrat. He was very complex, and I liked him...

Both Daphne and William were very solitary individuals, but in different ways. And they had a chasm worth of differences between those reasons. They still balanced each other out super well. 
Their love story was not what one normally sees, a normal happily ever after did not happen. They MADE their own, they made it work for their quirks because love overcomes all those little things.

The author did an amazing job crafting a hopeful story out of a hopeless situation. 
This series is definitely deeper than her other one, but she still finds a way to bring humor, wit and unwavering love to her stories. Not only does she do a FABULOUS job writing romances, she always shows GOD'S love too! 

I did enjoy this story, but I'm chomping at the bit to get Jess' story. She's a mystery and it should be a fun ride. 😏
I rated this 4/5 stars.

*I received this from the author**All opinions are my own*


Quotes:

It might be worth keeping Mrs. Blakemoor around simply for the plethora of surprises that came along with her.

He'd always made decisions based on what was practical, but ever since this woman entered his life, he'd been faced with the human aspect. He now had to consider people and their feelings.
It was dreadfully uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment