Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Review: True

True

"Traded away as a young girl by her father, True relies on no one but herself. She knows the enemy army is coming—General Kohl repeats it each night, after he puts the money on her bedside table. 

When two foreigners show up at her door, True hides the men from the soldiers who arrive with a presidential search warrant. Colonel Holoke vows her life will be spared, along with any family members who are inside her house, when his army returns. The rest of the city will be annihilated. 

True must reconcile with her father’s disastrous choice and convince the family who turned a blind eye to save their lives. But as drones arrive and circle the city, True’s trust in Holoke’s God is tested as the walls to her city tumble down."


Author: S.E. Clancy
Length: 106 pages


Wow. For such a short book this was a powerful story.

In less than 100 pages the author gets the story of redemption and forgiveness through the pages.
The story was raw, it had emotion. The author has a nice writing style which did make it easy to fly through the book.

The story of Rahab is a very popular story to retell, and it can be a hard one to pull off. However this author did a good job.

I could DEFINITELY see the actual Bible story coming off the pages, but to be honest I don't know if that will make this book stand out in the market or if it will get lost among the other stories.
I make this a point because it is a marketed as a "contemporary retelling" and I had a hard time finding what was contemporary about the book since I just saw the actual Bible story. It felt like it followed very closely to the biblical story and wasn't so much a retelling. 

Rahab was such a strong biblical character, and True definitely stayed authentic to that.

Because it was a short book there honestly wasn't that much world building or character building, and I think that might hinder its growth in the market. And I honestly felt that the book was missing a complete ending.

There was also a lot of language that was hinted at, and though the character who did the cussing was not saved, it did start to bother me. Though the words weren't spoken aloud, I personally don't enjoy when characters swear constantly.

This author has potential and I'm excited to see where God takes her next. 

Though not my favorite retelling of Rahab, it might be a story that touches someone. 
I rated it a 3/5 stars.

*I received this book from the author**All opinions are my own*

1 comment:

  1. This site is really cool! I found here alot of information that I was looking for. I am really happy to be a part of This site! betterdorms

    ReplyDelete