Sunday, February 6, 2022

Review: The Haunting at Bonaventure Circus

 The Haunting at Bonaventure Circus

"1928
The Bonaventure Circus is a refuge for many, but Pippa Ripley was rejected from its inner circle as a baby. When she receives mysterious messages from someone called the "Watchman," she is determined to find him and the connection to her birth. As Pippa's search leads her to a man seeking justice for his murdered sister and evidence that a serial killer has been haunting the circus train, she must decide if uncovering her roots is worth putting herself directly in the path of the killer.

Present Day
The old circus train depot will either be torn down or preserved for historical importance, and its future rests on real estate project manager Chandler Faulk's shoulders. As she dives deep into the depot's history, she's also balancing a newly diagnosed autoimmune disease and the pressures of single motherhood. When she discovers clues to the unsolved murders of the past, Chandler is pulled into a story far darker and more haunting than even an abandoned train depot could portend."

Author: Jamie Jo Wright
Genre: Mystery & Suspense


Y’all. I was STOKED for this book! Jaime Jo Wright taking on the BIG TOP?! Um, YES PLEASE.
And she did not disappoint!!

Jaime is the QUEEN of spook. The Goldilocks of creepy. The master of world hopping and story shaping. And she knocked it put of the park with this one!

I loved the circus timeline she chose! Back in the 20’s when it was still almost a “spectacle”. People who were labeled as broken or not considered normal were mocked and looked down on.
Though we know that to be awful it added so much to the story!! For them all to find out, and know that they are seen and loved by the One who created them. *chef kiss* It was BEAUTIFUL!!

Jaime, as always, took us on a rollercoaster! Where lineage and history alter people’s lives. Because I’ve read so many of Jaime’s books, I had a feeling I knew who the “modern day bad person” was. I was right, but I never would’ve guessed the reasoning for said “bad guyness”.

The historical one, THREW ME! 😨

I really wanted to keep reading this story. I wanted to keep going and get to know all these people and their choices that would lead to their present day bloodlines.
I REALLY want this one turned into a movie!!

I didn’t really connect with Pippa or Chandler, and some of their behaviors started to get under my skin just a little bit. BUT! I think every part of their character added to the story.

Jake & Hank were great! But we’ve never questioned Jaime’s ability to write a hero...😉
I wish we had gotten to learn more about them as characters, we were just teased by these pages. (Meany pants Jaime...😝)

Overall I really enjoyed this story! And I’m anxiously awaiting the chance to grab her next book. (It’s sitting on my TBR shelf waiting for me)
4.5/5 stars

*I received this book from the publisher**All opinions are my own*

1 comment:

  1. Jaime is one of the authors I am hoping to catch up on her back list this year. This book is on that list ;)I've only read a few so I have my work cut out for me :)

    ReplyDelete