Thursday, February 24, 2022

Review: A View Most Glorious

 A View Most Glorious

"Reluctant socialite Coraline Baxter longs to live a life of significance and leave her mark on the world. When her local suffragette group asks her to climb Mount Rainier to raise awareness of their cause, she jumps at the chance, even though she has absolutely no climbing experience. If she can do it, any woman can do it. And after her mother issues an ultimatum--that Cora marry the man of her mother's choosing if she is not successful--Cora must do it. But she can't do it alone.

Noted mountain guide Nathan Hardee initially refuses to help Cora, but has a change of heart when he sees what is at stake. He knows enough about the man Cora's mother has chosen to know that the headstrong young woman should have nothing to do with him, much less marry him.

Climbing Rainier will require all of Cora's fortitude and will lead her and Nathan to rediscover their faith in God and humanity. These two loners make unlikely partners in righting a wrong and may just discover that only together is the view most glorious."

Author: Regina Scott
Genre: Historical Romance
Series: American Wonders Collection (book 3)


This one was interesting. The mix of society & wild wilderness was intriguing. The reason for Cora climbing the mount was revolutionary for its time. (I’m thankful for real women in history who made their mark for us today)

While I enjoyed quite a few aspects of the book, I found some parts/characters growing tedious. I read the book quickly, as it was an easy story to read but at times the book felt long and drawn out.

I enjoyed Cora, most of the time! I loved how direct and straightforward she was, but not rude or heavy handed. She knew what she wanted, and knew how to stand for what she believed in. Until her mother started talking…
I understand respecting your parents, but it start to wear on me how much Cora changed and shriveled up when her mom was involved. I cheered her on when she finally spoke up for herself once and for all.

Her stepfather was A DEAR! Though he also cowered a bit to Cora’s mom, he had such a love for Cora and he protected her and supported her in everything she did. He was such a great father role!

Nathan was a great character too! He found his purpose and his calling and he was sure of himself. He loved God’s creation, and was never slow to praise God for it. I really enjoyed him paired with Cora.

I wish the topic of faith had been discussed more between the main characters since it was such a huge part of Nathan’s life and Cora was newer to a real relationship with God. It would’ve been nice for them to talk a bit more about it.

I feel like we met a lot of characters whose stories I would’ve loved to hear more about. Even more “screen time” with Nathan & his mother. I just felt like there were some things that were talked about a lot, and others that I wish would’ve made the page a bit more.

I did enjoy all the characters we met on the journey - minus our slimy Mr. Kincaid. But overall it was a nice, quick read with threads of forgiveness, true love, faith, and courage.
It was a solid 3.5/5 star!
*I received this book from the publisher**All opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment