Friday, March 29, 2019

Review: The Unexpected Champion

The Unexpected Champion

"City dweller John McCall never expected to be out in the High Sierras of 1868 on a wild-goose chase to find the Chiltons' supposedly lost grandson. But now that he's out here, things have gotten even more complicated, mostly due to wildcat Penny Scott. She's not like any woman he's ever met--comfortable in the woods, with a horse, and with a gun. 

When Penny and John are taken against their will by a shadowy figure looking for evidence they don't have, both realize they've stumbled into something dangerous and complicated. With their friends and family desperately searching for them, Penny and John must make a daring escape. 

When they emerge back into the real world, they are confronted with a kidnapper who just won't stop. They must bring a powerful, ruthless man to justice, even as this city man and country woman fight a very inconvenient attraction to each other."

Author: Mary Connealy
Length: 304 pages
Series: High Sierra Sweethearts (book 3)


What do a city gent and a country gal have in common?
Outlaws who want them dead.  


Y'ALL! I'M BACK TO REVIEWING! *internal and external flailing*
I'm so excited to come back to the blog with a review for this book! 

Here's the real deal.
I went into this book with VERY low expectations after reading the first two books in the series. I was not the biggest fan of them. 🙊 
Plus I've come to learn something about my reading self...if I go into a book with high expectations I am, more times than not, disappointed. 

This book though. This book had me laughing out loud. This book was the Mary Connealy I know and love!

I had no clue it was going to be a "shotgun wedding" story, but oh how I LOVED that it was! I LOOOOOOVVVVEEEE that plot line...SO. MUCH. 
*deep breaths*
I was giddy the entire time I read this book. Okay, maybe not the entire time because --well-- bad guys, but 90% of the time I was smiling like a loon!

I loved Penny & John in this book SO MUCH! (Wow, how many times can I click the caps lock button during this review?!)
They were so different from one another, but they complemented each other near-perfect. They both had weaknesses and strengths that the other didn't have, and YES they butt heads a bit, but in the end they worked WITH each other and really balanced one another out. 

I really enjoyed the mystery/intrigue plot of this story. We were in the THICK of it, and the *happy sigh* romance just happened to blossom around it.

This is already on my "re-read list". It. Was. So. Good. I'm so happy I read it.
4.5/5 stars!

*I received this book from the author**I was not required to give a positive rating**All opinions are my own* 

No comments:

Post a Comment