Friday, December 22, 2017

Review: The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill

The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill


"The lifeblood of the Wiltshire village of Ivy Hill is its coaching inn, The Bell. But when the innkeeper dies suddenly, his genteel wife, Jane Bell, becomes the reluctant owner. Jane has no notion of how to run a business. However, with the town's livelihood at stake and a large loan due, she must find a way to bring new life to the inn. 

Despite their strained relationship, Jane turns to her resentful mother-in-law, Thora, for help. Formerly mistress of The Bell, Thora is struggling to find her place in the world. As she and Jane work together, they form a measure of trust, and Thora's wounded heart begins to heal. When she encounters two men from her past, she sees them--and her future--in a different light.

With pressure mounting from the bank, Jane employs innovative methods to turn the inn around, and puzzles over the intentions of several men who seem to have a vested interest in the place. Will her efforts be enough to save The Bell? And will Thora embrace the possibility of a second chance at love?"



Author: Julie Klassen
Length: 448 pages
Format: paperback, e-book, audio


A young widow.
A failing inn she never wanted.
Can she revive it with the odds stacked against her?

Julie Klassen is an instant buy for me. Her books are always written beautifully! I so look forward to reading any of her work, so when I found out that she was going to write her first series I got excited!! After WAY to long I was finally able to get to book 1 (book 2's release helped push the train along 😜).  
Again, though I wasn't expecting anything less, Julie scooped me up and placed me in a beautiful new world (though sadly it wasn't real). She brought new, wonderful characters and a new, beautiful town with a new idea. 

A splendid blend of love and mystery. And a few cliffhangers... (Boy am I glad that book 2 is already out)

There were a few things I was expecting to happen, that didn't happen. And a few I wasn't expecting to happen, that happened. And I'm not mad about a thing! The book kept me on the edge of my seat, in anticipation, from the first page to the last. 

I really enjoyed all the characters, though there are quite a few. A key might be helpful to remember who's who...
They were all exceptionally written. I cannot wait to learn more about our Ms. Rachel Ashford, Mercy Grove, and hopefully more about Jane Bell. (Cliffhangers stink y'all)

I will say I was NOT a fan of Mrs. Thora Bell when we first started the book. She was so controlling and didn't think any opinion but her own was right. But at some point in the book, (couldn't pinpoint the exact place for you if I tried) she began to soften, and transform into this thoughtful matron. It was so nice to see for I really did not know how I felt about her staying in the Scrooge mindset. 

Klassen's books are never overrun with romance, but I've always enjoyed how she has written it! Honestly I NEVER know who to root for. 😭 I fall in love with them all, it's almost too much for me! 
However, there is an upside to this...I'm never too upset with who they end up with. 😉

I fell in love with Ivy Hill and it's residents, and cannot wait to visit their town again very soon! 

I give this book a 4.5/5 stars, and will recommend this book (and her other books) for now and always. 


Quotes:

"I see. You are wise not to discount the experience and wisdom of your elders, Mrs. Bell, but don't discount your thoughts and opinions either. You are intelligent and educated. I can see that. You have a mid of your own and should not hesitate to use it."

"So the knitting is a guise?"
"Basically," Mercy agreed, eyes twinkling.
"What about the tea?" Jane asked. "Is that a guise as well?"
"Heavens no. Tea is mandatory. What would a clutch of women do without tea?"

"Village life is like an ivy vine climbing a great oak. You cut off the vine at the root, and all the way up the tree, the leave wither. We're all connected."


*I purchased this book with my own money* *All opinions are my own*

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! I end up buying copies of her books to give as gifts too. I love the tea quote!

    ReplyDelete