Friday, January 12, 2018

Review: The Lacemaker


The Lacemaker

"When colonial Williamsburg explodes like a powder keg on the eve of the American Revolution, Lady Elisabeth "Liberty" Lawson is abandoned by her fiancé and suspected of being a spy for the hated British. No one comes to her aid save the Patriot Noble Rynallt, a man with formidable enemies of his own. Liberty is left with a terrible choice. Will the Virginia belle turned lacemaker side with the radical revolutionaries, or stay true to her English roots? And at what cost?"






Author: Laura Frantz
Length: 416 pages
Format: paperback, e-book, hardcover


Red or Blue
Which side will you choose?

Though you will be reading this the second week of January, this was actually my first book of 2018. And oh what a book to start the year with. 

This was the first book I've read by Laura Frantz, and will probably not be my last. I really enjoyed her writing style.

As much as I love historical books this one was a bit outside my comfort zone. I haven't really read many books in colonial times. I'm not gonna lie, this book was a tad of struggle for me...
I think because we were SO close to characters that were real people (i.e Patrick Henry, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson...) it made my mind scramble trying to recall REAL facts from fiction.

Regardless, I really did enjoy reading from this century. I enjoyed Laura's voice and the dialogue made me smile. She was able to capture the severity of this history, yet I never felt weighed down.

This book, though 400 pages, seemed to fly by. There was a lot of history and information to take in, but it wasn't hard to follow along. To me it was nice, quick, read though not light.

I give this book a 4/5 stars. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoy early American history.


Quotes:

"Oh Lord, thank You for such beauty. New possibilities. Blessed memories of old. Protect us. Lead us. Please."

"Do you really not mind having a Tory beneath your roof?"
He winked at her. "I don't know that you're a true Tory. Your very name is Liberty."

"More tragic reports reached them. Hundreds of sailor drowned. Livestock lost and fields flooded. No one asked who or what was Patriot or Tory. Suddenly such divisions ceased to matter."

*I was sent this book by the publisher for an honest review* *All opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment