Friday, March 16, 2018

Review: Second Chances

Second Chances

"Grace wasn't sure if there was a such thing as second chances for someone like her. She had become a teen mom at 17 and not long after had disappeared leaving her daughter behind with her parents. She thought she had ruined everyone's life, even her daughter's, so she fled to escape. However, she knew that she needed to return and make it up to Brooke and her family. She got her Associate's Degree and returned home to her parents. In this story of redemption, Grace finds the power of forgiveness through Christ and true love with someone unexpected. This is the first book in the series, An Oaktown Story."



Author: Jenny Lynn
Length: 171 pages
Format: paperback, e-book


Can you really come back home again?
Is true forgiveness really a thing?
Can love find its way through old pain and a tarnished past?


This was a cute first installation to what I feel is going to turn into a cute series.  

So much happens in such a short amount of pages, but in my honest opinion it flowed smoothly.

Grace & David were BEST FRIENDS growing up, so the fast paced romance was totally okay. 
Man, I love when best friends get together! *girly squeal*


Though we don't see a real "before" of Grace, I feel like her character grew up a ton. There was a level of maturity that only comes from making and living through your mistakes. 
All she wanted was to make a better life for her daughter. She took a few wrong turns before she got on the right road, but God was directing her path the whole time. (Like He always is)

I loved Brooke's character, she has a sweet innocent glow radiating off of her. She seemed like she'd be that super adorable kid you complemented the mother on in a restaurant. I can't wait to see more of her in the future. 

The lines of redemption were running SO strong throughout this entire story, and forgiveness played a HUGE role! 

I love stories about small hometowns because of the relationships that are already built. I feel like I'm getting to peak into these character's lives, to see a snapshot of their day to day. It's fun and somewhat relaxing for me. 

One thing that kind of threw me was the somewhat random switch in perspectives towards the end of the book. It was only a few paragraphs long, but it felt weird and out of place. Since the book was told from Grace's point of view the entire time, it took my mind a minute to change voices. It didn't add to the plot in my opinion, I could have finished the book without it and been fine. I like seeing other character's thought process, just more integrated within the story.  

I'm excited to see what happens next, since we're left on a crazy cliffhanger! Can't wait to visit Oaktown again soon.

I rated this a 4/5 stars. If you need a laid back, easy, fast contemporary read this is for you.

*I received this book from the author in exchange for a review* *All opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment