Friday, December 7, 2018

Review: Mark of the Raven

Mark of the Raven

"Lady Selene is the heir to the Great House of Ravenwood and the secret family gift of dreamwalking. As a dreamwalker, she can enter a person's dreams and manipulate their greatest fears or desires. For the last hundred years, the Ravenwood women have used their gift of dreaming for hire to gather information or to assassinate.

As she discovers her family's dark secret, Selene is torn between upholding her family's legacy--a legacy that supports her people--or seeking the true reason behind her family's gift.

Her dilemma comes to a head when she is tasked with assassinating the one man who can bring peace to the nations, but who will also bring about the downfall of her own house.

One path holds glory and power, and will solidify her position as Lady of Ravenwood. The other path holds shame and execution. Which will she choose? And is she willing to pay the price for the path chosen?"


Author: Morgan L. Busse
Length: 352 pages
Series: Ravenwood Saga book 1


He was a threat to her house.
Her mission was to kill him.
Will the Light chase away the darkness?



Fun fact, I actually got to meet Morgan at the Christy Awards. She is the sweetest soul, and she's a blast to talk to!

Anywho. On to what you're actually here for...the review. 😉

The first book in a fantasy series is normally really focused on WORLD BUILDING. 
This book was no exception. From the first page until about the last hundred pages was a lot of world building. The author works to draw you into this world of dream assassins and evil plots, with an imagination like that OF COURSE it's going to take a while to build everything up.

First books in series are always a little hard for me to get into because of everything I have to retain in mah brain. So getting into a rhythm with this book took me a little bit. 

HOWEVER! Once I got it down I flew through this book and I need book 2 in my hands ASAP! 

This book had a great cast of characters. Each person played their respective parts beautifully! 
There was a wonderful blend of villain to hero. And we ever got a mixture of both in one character. 

Selene is this strong young woman on the outside, but inside she is searching for something. She knows her family was not given the ability to dreamwalk for the evil purpose it was used for. Though she hides all her feelings under the perfect mask of ice and indifference.

Insert Damien. A follower of the Light and a threat to the House of Ravenwood. Even burdened by the responsibility of being grand lord at such a young age, he was a level-headed man with a heart to save the hurting. Plus he smells like clove, cinnamon and sandalwood...😍🤤 (It's in the book I promise!)

I really enjoyed Selene and Damien, separate and together. I am anxious to see their love story pan out over the course of the series! 
THEY GET THROWN TOGETHER! If that isn't the greatest thing in a book I don't know what is.
(...okay, so it totally helps they have a TON of chemistry!)

I'm interested in seeing how the author reveals the Light to Selene...🤔

Guys I'm just ready to see this series continue!! I really really liked it.

*I received this book from the publisher**All opinions are my own*

Quotes:

"You have a big heart. And it hurts to see the pain in this world. But that's not a weakness. It is your hidden strength. Never forget that."

1 comment:

  1. Amazing review, Alysha, as always! I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete