Saturday, December 15, 2018

Review: Mind Games

Mind Games

"Kaely Quinn's talents as an FBI behavior analyst are impossible to ignore, no matter how unorthodox her methods. But when a reporter outs her as the daughter of an infamous serial killer, she's demoted to field agent and transferred to St. Louis.

When the same reporter who ruined her career claims to have received an anonymous poem predicting a string of murders, ending with Kaely's, the reporter's ulterior motives bring his claim into question. But when a body is found that fits the poem's predictions, the threat is undeniable, and the FBI sends Special Agent Noah Hunter to St. Louis. 

Initially resentful of the assignment, Noah is surprised at how quickly his respect for Kaely grows, despite her oddities. But with a brazen serial killer who breaks all the normal patterns on the loose, Noah and Kaely are tested to their limits to catch the murderer before anyone else--including Kaely herself--is killed."

Author: Nancy Mehl
Length:336 pages
Series: Kaely Quinn Profiler (book 1)


Six little elephants start this little game... 


Anyone who knows me knows I love the show Criminal Minds. So to read a book with a BAU agent was so exciting. This book was NOTHING like the show, however I did still find it intriguing

It takes QUITE a bit for a suspense author to transport me so deep into the book I have to watch puppy videos before I go to sleep. I can normally pick out the "bad guy" in a book pretty quick.  But I have to give props to this author because I was a bit surprised when he was revealed! The author did a great job covering her tracks.

Kaely was an interesting character! She was super awkward and a little on the weird side, but it added to her charm. It made her unique.
I actually really enjoyed her "system". It was wacky and unsettling all at once. Not something I'd ever seen done before. I thought it was very interesting.
I'm anxious to see how her character develops. She had her "normal" moments, but also some straight up "psycho" moments. I'm waiting with bated breath for the cliff-hanger/plot twist to be addressed. 

I also liked Noah's character. He definitely screamed "FBI agent". He reminds me a bit of an onion and I'm excited to watch all his layers get peeled away. He's a very complex, yet closed off character with a lot of skepticism and doubt. He has a curiosity that will make reading about his eyes opening to things super fun.

I think these two will make great work partners and life partners in the end...once they get over a few more bumps in the road.

The writing style itself was not my favorite. However I did enjoy the story within.
I rated this book a 3.5/5 stars.

*I received this book from the publisher**All opinions are my own*

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to trying this one out! It's super intriguing.

    ReplyDelete