Saturday, January 4, 2020

Review: A Distance Too Grand

A Distance Too Grand

"Meg Pero has been assisting her photographer father since she was big enough to carry his equipment, so when he dies she is determined to take over his profession--starting with fulfilling the contract he signed to serve on an Army survey of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in 1871. What she doesn't realize is that the leader of the expedition is none other than the man she once refused to marry.

Captain Ben Coleridge would like nothing more than to leave without the woman who broke his heart, but he refuses to wait even one more day to get started. This survey is a screen for another, more personal mission, one he cannot share with any member of his team.

As dangers arise from all sides, including within the survey party, Meg and Ben must work together to stay alive, fulfill their duties, and, just maybe, rekindle a love that neither had completely left behind."

Author: Regina Scott
Genre: Historical Romance
Series: American Wonders Collection (book 1)


"As dangers arise
they must work together to stay alive"


These reviews are always really hard for me to write! *deep breath* Let's get on with it. 
Here's the thing. I didn't hate it, but I also didn't love it.

The premise of this story intrigued me! An Army exposition sent to decide if the Grand Canyon was habitable...I LOVE IT! Sadly, the execution fell short for me. There were story/plot lines that weren't flushed out completely, so nothing really connected or gave me that "AH HA!" moment.

I didn't really connect with any of the characters. In all honesty, the side characters started to blur into one person. No one stood out to me. 
I never felt any chemistry coming from the pages, not from leads or the secondary characters.

I did enjoy the photography aspects of the story. It was really cool to learn a little about that history, and to see where photography has come.

For people who enjoy descriptive books this one might just be for you! The Grand Canyon is beautifully described, as well as some of the photography process. It is rich in history & descriptions.

I feel like this book had lots of potential! I just wish it had been flushed out some more. It definitely is an interesting time in history!

Regina is one of my ALL TIME favorite authors, so I'm sad I didn't love it. But, not every book hits a sweet spot and that's okay. 
I am interested to read book 2, maybe that story will hit its mark.
Nevertheless, I will follow Regina wherever she goes. She's a wonderful author, and an even better person.
I rated it a 3/5 star.

*I received this book from the publisher**All opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment