Monday, January 13, 2020

Review: Love You, Truly

Love You, Truly

"Blake Carlton, the camera-shy son of Hollywood’s Darling, dodges the invasive limelight and scripted relationships that so often accompany fame. But when his mother’s popularity declines and she falls into a depression, he offers himself up as the next bachelor on a reality show, hoping to reignite interest in her career while creating a way for them to finally connect.After her fiancé dumps her for her best friend, aspiring photographer Harlow Tucker is done with romance—until her beloved, disabled sister requests her aid to start a nonprofit. Harlow agrees to do whatever is needed to raise funds, even reluctantly costarring on a dating show with a notorious womanizer who distrusts anyone behind a lens.As Blake and Harlow navigate the superficiality of a reality show, their preconceived notions of love are challenged."

Author: Susan L. Tuttle
Genre: Contemporary Romance



Deciding to trust each other feels like the ultimate risk, 
but taking that chance could lead to a love truly picture-perfect, 
worth both of their hearts.


OH THIS BOOK COULD'VE BEEN A 5 STAR READ FOR ME! It made me cry. That says a lot about a book in my eyes, but there were some big things that hindered my 5 star rating.

I connected with Harlow in a way I've never connected with a character before. My older brother has a disability called cerebral palsy, and my whole life has revolved around that. In HER vulnerable moments I felt that pain. I've had those questions. And I've also received that peace to know I'm chosen. 
There is a scene in this book where she has an EMOTIONAL heart to heart with her sister and I cried. I actually had to put the book down because I was there, I was having that discussion, and its hard. So ALL of the props to Susan for capturing the side of disabilities no one ever talks about, the other people it affects who have to sacrifice too. You wrote it well!

I did like watching Blake come to God. He fought it HARD, but in the end God won his heart. (Are we surprised?! 😉) It was definitely a nice redemption arc.

I adored the chemistry between Blake & Harlow. They really did blend well together, and their snark was EVERYTHING! 
But the continuous back and forth of them not trusting each other, then trusting each other, then one small thing (that could've been handled if they talked about it like adults) making them storm off like children and lose all trust in each other again just got old! It just felt immature. 
Now, I understand they both had been hurt in the past! I get that, however they shouldn't have "trusted" the other person so readily if they weren't ready. 

Another thing that really bothered me is how fast they would assume the worst of each other. If you love someone, and say you know them better than that WHY would your first reaction be to say they're a liar and never give them a chance to give you their side of the story. 
I don't handle name besmirching/integrity dragging story lines very well. And that is what it felt like to me.

Its hard for me because I really did like a lot of the story aspects. I really liked the "bachelor" troupe! The author did an amazing job getting me sucked into the story. I laughed, I cried, I connected with characters like I never have before. But I couldn't get behind their "blame now, explain later" attitude.

I want to try another book by Susan Tuttle! I did enjoy her writing style, and I loved parts of this book.
I rated it a 3.5/5 stars.

*This is a ROMANCE book. There is a lot of kissing, talk of premarital sex, and an intense scene on a beach. It got heated in a few places!  Just a heads up for anyone who is looking for content warning.*

*I received this book from the author**All opinions are my own*

1 comment:

  1. Thank you SO much for this review and for reading LYT - it means a lot that you took the time to try this new-to-you author:)

    ReplyDelete