Thursday, November 28, 2019

Review: Serving Up Love



"Bestselling novelist Tracie Peterson joins Karen Witemeyer, Regina Jennings, and Jen Turano in this collection of four novellas, each featuring a Harvey Girl heroine. From Kansas to Texas, the Grand Canyon to New Mexico, the stories cross the country with tales of sweet romance and entertaining history.

In Karen Witemeyer's "More Than a Pretty Face," a young woman works her hardest to escape poor choices from her youth. Tracie Peterson offers "A Flood of Love," where reuniting with an old flame after more than a decade offers unexpected results. Regina Jennings's "Intrigue a la Mode" delights with a tale of a young woman determined to help support her family, despite warnings of danger nearby. And Jen Turano's "Grand Encounters" heads to the Grand Canyon with a tale of a society belle intent on finding a new life for herself."

Author(s): Tracie Peterson, Karen Witemeyer, Regina Jennings, Jen Turano
Genre: Historical Romance


Y'ALL.
Y'ALL.
Y'ALL.
Every one of my dreams has come true with this novella collection! LOOK. AT. THIS. LINEUP. 
😍😍😍

And they brought it with this collection. Each story was so good. I loved them so much. 

***

A Flood of Love (Tracie Peterson)

"Returning home to New Mexico for the first time in years to fill in at the Harvey House, Gretchen Gottsacker is sure the past is behind her. But nothing can be that simple. When the man she loved long ago steps back into her life--with a daughter, no less--will she ever be the same?"

This story was so cute! I loved the character arcs. There was a lot of growth even in the short length of the story.
I love when the "childhood/teenage sweetheart" troupe is used. There was already so much history, but Tracie did a great job giving us the inside scoop, without having information overload. 

The little girl was the BEST! She was a doll, and I loved her!
4/5 stars.

***

More Than a Pretty Face (Karen Witemeyer)

"Rosalind Kemp becomes a Harvey Girl, clinging to the promise of one day transferring even farther west, someplace her youthful indiscretion won't catch up to her. But the past is hard to escape, and when the worst occurs, will anyone stand up for her?"

I feel like I've been waiting forever and a day for this story, even though its only been a few months. 😜
I don't know what all I can say other than "I loved it!" I loved the characters, and I loved the chemistry between them all, main and side characters a like. 😍😍
I loved being able to get to know Rosalind a little better, and I loved how strong she was. 
The romance pairing was perfect, they really worked well together. 
5/5 stars.

***

Intrigue a la Mode (Regina Jennings)

"When Willow Kentworth is warned that strange things are happening in the railyard after dark, she never intends to get involved. That is, until a handsome new employee at the Harvey House--who has secrets of his own--needs her assistance."

Regina just writes the best novellas! She always sucks you in and gives this perfectly constructed story in less than 150 pages. 😍 This one was no different. It honestly might've been my favorite of the collection.

This story had a very "undercover boss" feel to it, but like amped up 92.8%. AND I LOVED IT! The mystery, intrigue plot was so well done! I loved the "secret Pinkerton", and I really hope she get her own story one day! 
The characters in this story were great, and I just really really loved it.
5/5 stars.

***

A Grand Encounter (Jen Turano)

"After her fiancΓ© abandons her, Miss Myrtle Schermerhorn flees New York's pity for a position at the El Tovar Hotel on the rim of the Grand Canyon. She's determined to hold fast to her life of independence--but a rugged, frequent guest of the hotel makes that vow difficult to uphold."
 
This was a really cute story! I loved the troupe that was used, and I loved Myrtle's attitude throughout the book. She grew a backbone when she left society, and she wasn't about to lose it ever again.
I enjoyed the characters a lot, and really felt that the side characters kept the story moving.
4/5 stars.

***

Overall, I loved this collection! I had so many wo derful expectations and they were all pretty much met!
Though each story was a standalone, different years and states, there was a common thread of redemption and forgiveness that ran through each story. 
I rated the whole collection a 4.5/5 stars!

*I received this book from the publisher**All opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment