Friday, June 26, 2020

Review: At Love's Command

At Love's Command

"Haunted by the horrors of war, ex-cavalry officer Matthew Hanger leads a band of mercenaries known as Hanger's Horsemen who have become legends in 1890s Texas. They defend the innocent and obtain justice for the oppressed. But when a rustler's bullet leaves one of them at death's door, they're the ones in need of saving.

Dr. Josephine Burkett is used to men taking one look at her skirts and discounting her medical skills. What she's not used to is having a man change his mind in a heartbeat and offer to assist her in surgery. Matthew Hanger's dedication to his friend during recovery earns Josephine's respect, and when she hears of her brother's abduction, he becomes her only hope for rescue.

Matt has stared down ruthless outlaws, betrayal, and injury, but when a bossy lady doctor crawls under his skin, his heart is tempted to surrender. And when she is caught in the crossfire, he may have to sacrifice everything--even his team--to save her."


Author: Karen Witemeyer
Genre: Historical Fiction
Series: Hanger's Horsemen (book 1)


"He's fought through ruthless outlaws and injury. 
But with her, he's tempted to surrender."


I really loved the connection between the Horsemen! I feel like we don't see a ton of this kind of relationship between guys in Christian fiction, so it's definitely a refreshing theme to see! 
I CANNOT wait to read the rest of the Horsemen's stories!

I liked the main characters! Both characters were strong, a just a smidge stubborn, but in a way that worked with the other. They complemented each other.

The romance was super quick in this story, but the whole book was fast paced! From the first page until the last, it was an action packed book. I'm kind of glad the romance kept up with the rest of the story. it didn't bog it down at all. 

As always Karen wove a STRONG Christian message into the book, and I LOVED IT! I love reading her books to see what lesson she's going to remind me of. This one had strong "let go & let God" message for me. It's a reminder we all need from time to time. (I might need it day to day sometimes)

I hope we see Charlie get a bit of a love story. (Novella, Karen? 😉)

Overall, it was a great introduction into this new series! I cannot wait to see how it goes! 
I rated this a 4/5 stars.

*I received this book from the author**All opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment